Going even a short amount of time without A/C in your home in the summer gets unbearable rather quickly, but having no heat in the dead of winter is comparable in inconvenience and discomfort. Here’s how to ensure your HVAC system is ready for the cold weather that will be here in Maryland before you know it.
Stay Warm All Season Long
During the winter season, Americans spend more time inside of their homes than any other time of year. In Maryland, our winters can sometimes see temperatures in the teens, with wind chills even lower than that. Your home’s interior must have a heat source of some kind in order to keep you safe, healthy, and comfortable during these cold times of year.
We don’t have to convince you how important your HVAC system is to keeping you and your family warm in the winter. However, even if it’s been running well all year, switching the system over to heat mode can reveal an issue you didn’t notice during the summer.
Follow these helpful tips for keeping your HVAC system heating your family and your home through the cold Maryland winter this year:
- Replace your air filter. Your HVAC system’s air filter should be replaced every 3-4 months, depending on how quickly it gets dirty when filtering the air in your home. If the filter is wet, call the HVAC experts at S&L Prime immediately, as this could mean trouble for your system.
- Clear space around the indoor unit. Your indoor furnace or air handler should be clear of household or other stored items in order to operate safely. There should be a 3-foot clearance (at least) around the indoor unit in order to avoid damage.
- Have a humidifier installed. If your home gets very dry in the winter due to consistently running the heat, consider adding a humidifier to your HVAC system to make your home more comfortable.
- Test the heat function on your thermostat. Sometime during the fall before the cold weather hits, switch your thermostat over to the heat setting and ensure everything is working properly: the thermostat turns on, warm/hot air is coming through vents, the air stops blowing when you turn the system off. If your thermostat isn’t working, try flipping the breaker or replacing the batteries, or call a professional HVAC company
- Schedule a fall/winter check-up. HVAC companies offer full system inspections and maintenance check-ups throughout the year so that you can rest assured any repairs are fixed and your system is ready for heating your home this winter.
Your Reliable HVAC Company in Baltimore, MD
S&L Prime is your best resource for heating maintenance and repairs this winter. We are your local heating and cooling experts dedicated to keeping you as comfortable in your own home as we are in ours all year long. Contact us today to schedule a heating system check-up or to make an appointment for HVAC repair in Baltimore, MD today!